SMS School Dress Code
Cheatham County School Board
Students shall dress and groom in a clean, neat
and modest manner so as not to distract or interfere with the
operation of the school.
More specific guidelines appropriate for each level of school
(elementary, middle, junior high and senior high) may be developed.
Principals, faculty members and students shall be involved in the
development of each appropriate set of guidelines.
When a student is attired in a manner which is likely to cause
disruption or interference with the operation of the school, the
principal shall take appropriate action, which may include
suspension and/or expulsion.
Students shall observe modesty and
appropriateness in clothing and personal appearance. A student
is not appropriately dressed if he/ she is a disturbing or
disruptive influence to the educational environment or presents a
safety concern for others.
Fashion is constantly changing and some fashion changes may not be
appropriate for school. We reserve the right to make changes to the
dress code as needed to address these changes to keep disruption to
the educational process to a minimum and maintain a safe
The dress code rules are as follows:
- Hats, caps and sunglasses are not to be worn in the
- The length for skirts, dresses and shorts must be the length of
a horizontal index card from the knee. This includes items worn
with leggings; the shirt or skirt must meet dress code length even
if leggings are worn underneath.
- Shirts, tops, and blouses with a bare midriff or revealing
neckline are not allowed.
- No tube tops, see through tops, mesh tops, or spaghetti strap
shirts allowed. Straps on shirts must be width of a dollar bill.
With a sheer outer shirt the under shirt must meet dress code
- No attire depicting or promoting violence, alcohol, tobacco, or
drugs is allowed.
- No gang related clothing
- No clothes with suggestive, crude, rude, racial, or
discriminatory statements are allowed. This also includes wearing
clothes displaying the rebel flag.
- Students should not wear outer clothing that resembles
loungewear, yoga pants, pajamas or underwear. (There may be
exceptions for special days i.e spirit days).
- Shoes must be worn by all students. House shoes are not
- No heavy chains, spikes, or other items that cause a safety
- No unnatural hair colors and only conventional hair colors are
- No facial piercings (tongue, eyebrow, or nose piercings) other
- No sleeveless shirts with excessively large or revealing sleeve
- Students may wear light jackets or sweaters at the discretion
of the classroom teacher. Excessively long hoodies or jackets and
heavy coats must be kept in locker.
- Students may not mark or draw on themselves or others.
- Sagging pants are not allowed.
- Jeans must be neat and fit appropriately. No holes or frays are
allowed above the knees.
- Top coats, backpacks, and purses must be removed once the
student enters the school building and stored in the locker. Small
canvas type bags for gym clothes are allowed for PE only and should
be stored in locker when not in transition to PE.
All faculty and staff share the responsibility to enforce the
Consequences for Violations of the
If a violation can be corrected it will be done so
immediately with a warning. If it cannot be corrected at school, a
student will be allowed to call home for appropriate clothing to be
brought to them, they will wait in ISS until these arrive. If
appropriate clothing cannot be brought the student will stay in
ISS. Persistent violations of dress code will result in suspension
Cheatham County School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin or handicap in the operation of its educational programs and activities including employment practices.
Copyright © 2017 Sycamore Middle School